Nikon rumors!

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Displacer
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon rumors!
In reply to KSWittmer, Jan 16, 2013

KSWittmer wrote:

You've piqued my interest with this comment.

What, exactly, do you think you would be giving up by moving to a current generation CMOS sensor compared to a CCD sensor from 2005?

-- hide signature --

What you know imprisons you

I really like the colors and sharpness of the D40. It is just plain easy to get nice JPEGS straight OOC. For each contender I've tried, I took some portraits of my kids and a still life to get a direct comparison and I found the D40 images more pleasing. In all fairness, the D5100 was OK but my copy back-focused terribly. The Panasonics were dull, noisy, and shifted red to purple. I don't really have the time to mess around with RAW anymore to tune to my liking - which is why I sold my Sigma SD9 for the D40 years ago. Surely not proof of CCD triumphing over CMOS, just wishing that there was an upgrade for those of us who really appreciate the IQ of the D40 and have no need for more pixels and tend not to shoot in dimly lit places without a fast lens or flash. The only real shortcomings for me of the D40 is the 3 (yes only 3) focus points and the not so great viewfinder which sometimes does not clue me in to the missed focus.

How about moving to Nikon D200. It has (equally old) CCD sensor. You also get more pixels and more focus points with a host of other abilities also. Like weather sealing.

DxOMark says also better picture quality, more DR, color depth and very slightly better low light abilities.

Nowadays you should be able to find one in good condition with a decent price...

Displacer's gear list:Displacer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow