Nikon service refusing warranty repair ... can I pay now and dispute later?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
colinchisholm
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Nikon service refusing warranty repair ... can I pay now and dispute later?
Jan 16, 2013

M 12-24 f/2.8 zoom is very stiff when zooming at the wide end:

I'll omit the details but suffice it to say my opinion is this should be an issue covered under warranty, and since Nikon Canada now appears to be refusing to cover this under warranty, my process question on the way forward is:

Since I want to get this fixed ASAP, I'd rather pay now and then deal with the dispute process later, and will even take them to small claims court if they are not helpful.

Is there any problem with this approach? If I am disputing their assessment that it is not covered under warranty, is there any kind of legal or other consideration that would require me to NOT proceed with a PAID repair before proceeding with a dispute process?

In other words should I settle the dispute first, even though that would mean a delay in getting my lens back? Note I would plan first to tell them that I am paying so as to get the lens back sooner but will continue to dispute this, and will also advise them that I will take them to small claims court if required - this way they can gather any evidence they require (although they could use this info to fabricate evidence, so maybe this is not wise? not sure if it is legally required or appropriate for me to tell them all this, but thought it best if I DID tell them in advance of my protest plans).

Any input appreciated.

-Colin

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow