Contributing MemberPosts: 960Gear list
Like?
Re: re: good news for Alpa users, but not for Alpha ones
In reply to jpr2, Jan 16, 2013

jpr2 wrote:

Alpha Jack wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

Alpha Jack wrote:

Consider a 24-70 2.8 Z...and even without AF you have possibilities that don't exist today. I will order one the day they make it in alpha mount as long as it doesn't turn out to be crappola which it I will admit could be. It is a good company though and the first sample images I have seen comparing N7 to 5D Mark III look very promising.

for them to step into Alpha glass maker's shoes might be a bit too tight for comfort, esp. as there does exist virtual cornucopia of other excellent legacy lenses = which are not only "abandoned"... legally speaking, and... highly coveted as well - the Alpa mount legacy (Angenieux, Schneider, Kern, Kinoptik) are on top of the list of desirables , moreover, given current prices of such lenses the cost of the Alpa to E-mount booster can be considered pocket change pennies,

Honestly, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. If this can be done for Canon, it can be done for Minolta/Sony. Anyone who shoots both Nex and Alpha will want one if it works as advertised and the more I research the more I believe it will.

• such adapter for Alpha lenses on Nex bodies would put it into a direct competition with the LA-EA* line of native adapters from S;
  • and although "dumb" adapters = with just Av control (and possibly OSS too) are of course possible; it is easy to imagine that many would expect AF to be present too, esp. as both lenses and bodies are AF capable, and LA-EA* are showing what might be done as well;
  • however, this will make them also very highly vulnerable to any future FW changes - a factor beyond a direct control;
  • correct me if I'm wrong - but currently only the Kenko-Tokina-Hoya conglomerate had guts to pick up such a gauntlet and to offer converters meant to compete with Canon's extenders designed between EF lenses and EOS bodies (it used to be also Tamron's domain, but not anymore),
  • but then K-T-H are pretty much bigger than MB+Caldwell combined, and the last time I've searched part of their shares were in S's control,

jpr2

No no no. Alpa and alpha are completely different lens mounts. We are not talking about Sony/Minolta Alpha lenses but ultra high end Alpa lenses that you have probably never even seen.

Metabones' bread and butter is really probably the high end video market. Their main audience for this adapter is thinking to themselves: "I'm tired of the crop factor on my $8,000 Sony FS100 and really would prefer to have the normal range from my $23,000 Canon 30-105mm T2.8".

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow