Another D600 low-light, high ISO image (ISO 6400)

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Duncan C
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,601
Like?
Another D600 low-light, high ISO image (ISO 6400)
Jan 16, 2013

Shot at ISO 6400 in very weak light from a glass door across the room.

Ok, it's  cat. Sorry about that. It's been wet and gloomy around here, so I'm short on interesting subjects to shoot.

I saw one of our cats lounging in our basement, and liked the soft (very weak!) light bathing her, so I ran for my camera. I took several pictures, and liked the profile and thoughtful look on her face on this one. (She's actually dumb as a box of rocks, so this "thoughtful" look is an illusion. She's probably thinking "duhhhhhhh...")

The soft directional light does give good modeling to her features and show the texture of her fur well.

However, this was downright gloomy to the naked eye. I would not have even attempted it with my D200. I might go back to the original and dial back the exposure some. I'm used to exposing to put the brightest non-speciular highlight just below max brightness, and did not back down the exposure in post.

I'm coming to trust auto WB and auto ISO with this camera. In difficult light, I set it to aperture priority, auto ISO, auto WB, and trust the camera to give me a decent shutterspeed. and the correct white balance. (I avoided auto WB on my D200 as much as possible. It was too flaky.)

Shot with my 70-200 f/2.8 VR (VR I, not VR II) at f/5, 1/60th of a second at 200 mm, at ISO 6400! It continues to boggle my mind that I can get such nice images at an ISO that high. (OK, the VR on the 70-200 helped too...)

I shot in raw and processed it in CS 6 ACR. I did apply a modest amount of NR to the image to back down the grain/noise. This is a moderate crop to 3x2 aspect ratio, and a down-sample to 4"x6" at 300 PPI. The full-sized image looked quite good before down-sizing, but that would make for a really huge image for the 'net.

Nikon D200 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow