Cacophonic Visions
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
Re: Which CZ Lens for A99?
In reply to Cartagena Photo, Jan 16, 2013

Cartagena Photo wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

Shield3 wrote:

The 24-70 Zeiss is really sharp center frame even wide open. It's a heavy little combo on the a99 and I grew tired walking around with this combo, and I'm 39 and a pretty big guy. I found myself reaching for the 24 F/2 Zeiss or the Sigma 50mm F/1.4 - both worked very well on the a99.

Keep this in mind - from about 24mm and wider there will be strange distortions in video mode when you pan. It's not specific to Sony. Also keep in mind that the AF-D feature and the AF range limiter are DISABLED in video mode.

For stills if you don't mind the weight, go for the 24-70. I personally would rather shoot just a prime for stills though - it's lighter and sharper.

That surprises me that you're recommend primes over the Zeiss 24-70 (Zeiss should have pretty high standards to attach their name, I'd think). I really only need a 35 and a 50 (preferably f/1.4 if it's a prime). Would I find primes in Amount that are better than the Zeiss at those 2 focal lengths with regard to sharpness and pleasant out of focus areas?

Hi Sean

It's without doubt a fact that the Sony 50 f/1,4 are far better than the Zeiss 24-70. It's also a fact that the 24 f/2 is better than the 24-70. Even my old Minolta 24-105 are just as good or better at f/8-f/xx especially from 50mm and up.

kind regards

David Cartagena

Cartagena Photo on Flickr

-- hide signature --

Echinacea purpurea

The Minolta 35mm F2 is quite the gem here as well.  Smooth bokeh and quite crisp as well, with excellent colour.

The Minolta 35mm F2, Sony 50mm F1.4, and CZ 85mm F1.4 happen to be my 3 favorite lenses.  However, they are all screw-drive, so video shooters beware. 

-- hide signature --

Sony A77, A99, Fujifilm X-Pro1, KM Maxxum 7D

Cacophonic Visions's gear list:Cacophonic Visions's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow