Will Sony, Oly, Can, Nik and others copy Fujifilm ... again?

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,262Gear list
Like?
Will Sony, Oly, Can, Nik and others copy Fujifilm ... again?
Jan 15, 2013

Fujifilm seem to own the lead position of late with really decent and workable innovations others just don't seem to be able to match. I'm not talking about their remarkable X-Trans sensor (but is a case in point anyway), I mean this goes back to Fujifilm being the very first to introduce the phase difference detection range finder actually built-in on the image sensor, of which was copied by Sony and others.

I have been reading up on Fuji's new digital split image focus system deployed in the X100s, but real world demos on it are pretty thin on the ground. Nonetheless, this is going to be a superb manual focus aid in my opinion.

Auto focusing on ALL digital cameras has certainly come of age but in mission critical portraiture photography manual focus is the only way to go, indeed, there are some like me who like the total and absolute control over precisely where the focusing point will be no matter what the type of photography. Bringing a split image system, reminiscent of the old manual SLR days, to the mirrorless category is another stroke of genius in my opinion.

In the words of dpreview on the new Fujifilm digital split image focus system:

"Fujifilm also uses this system to provide a unique and incredibly clever manual focus aid - which could finally allow digital cameras to offer the speed and convenience enjoyed by manual-focus SLR and rangefinder users."

Begs the question, wonder how long it will take before this is copied by Sony and others. A year? six months? Whether you love Fujifilm or hate them (and there are a few relentless haters here - just watch some replies) the cold hard fact is innovations pioneered by Fujifilm are finding their way in to other camera brands which hugely benefits all of us. The photographic equipment consumer is the clear winner here.

Cheers

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow