Should I up the ISO speed in auto from 3200 to 6400?

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
dodgyexposure
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
Re: Try without auto
In reply to corneaboy, Jan 15, 2013

corneaboy wrote:

You might want to try aperture or shutter modes and set the iso. Take your usual kinds of photos at different isos and decide where you think is the limit before noise becomes an issue.

This is good practical advice.  I have a 600D like the OP.  Over time, I worked out that I am happy with the noise level in most shooting scenarios up to ISO 800, so I set the AutoISO at 800.  This covers me for most scenarios.  You may be happy with a different level of noise.

There are then other scenarios where I deliberately set a particular ISO or adjust the ISO, such as these that immediately spring to mind:

1.  When i am using flash for portraits or macro, where I lower the ISO to the lowest that I can given the subject distance and desired shutter speed.

2.  Still subjects and I am using a tripod - low ISO.

3.  Handheld with a non-stabilised telephoto lens (in my case, a fixed f8 500mm mirro lens), where I know that I need a shutter speed of 1/800 to minimise camera shake, so raise the ISO (generally 3200 in moderate daylight).

4.  In lower light, when I want to keep my shutter speed up.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Damien

dodgyexposure's gear list:dodgyexposure's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow