Capturing the Northern Lights with a D5100

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
james laubscher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,175
Like?
Re: Capturing the Northern Lights with a D5100
In reply to autre_pensee, Jan 15, 2013

I hjaven't done auroras but I have done the night sky and milky way.

From reading about auroras, I have gained the impression that they move about in the sky so a longish exposure will surely cause the effect to blur?

I've photographed the night sky quite successfully at 3200iso for 10 secs at around f6.3. I could get an image of the milky way with post processing and I venture that an aurora is brighter than the stars.

Raw is essential and set the camera to do long exposure noise reduction as well. You will find quite a lot of chromatic noise in the 3200 iso image so a good noise reduction software is necessary - LR has an excellent Chromatic noise reduction function.

I prefer higher iso with shorter exposures to reduce star trails.

One is under the impression that you need longish exposures but this is not the case - you will get better colour reproduction if the shot is slightly underexposed - remember that the D5100 sensor has excellent dynamic range and with raw post processing, you can recover a lot of detail from dark shots.

-- hide signature --

jamesza

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow