Considering OM-D but confused about what lenses to choose

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
JohnBGood
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering OM-D but confused about what lenses to choose
In reply to marike6, Jan 15, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Unless you absolutely need a zoom, fast max aperture primes are the way to go.

A three lens combo like:

• Olympus 12 f2 (or cheaper not quite as wide but extremely sharp, Panasonic 14 2.5)
  • Panasonic/Leica 25 1.4 (or 20 1.7). Both of these lenses are about as good as it gets in m43
  • Olympus 45 1.8 - This lens, along with the PL 25 1.4 or 20 1.7 is one of the must have lenses in m43

With these three lenses, you'll have an awesome kit that will cover 90% of all photographic situations (except for long telephoto needs). And you'll get better DOF control, faster shutter speeds (or low ISO values) and superior optical performance than the 12-35 2.8.

Alternative standard zooms to the 12-35 2.8? There really aren't any. I have the Panasonic 14-42 3.5-5.6 zoom, and it's OK optically, but it's dog slow at the long end. I mainly use it for handheld video with my GH2 because the OIS works quite well. But the 20 1.7 and 45 1.8 give dramatically better images, with nice bokeh, and sharpness. Good luck.

+1 with this choice,

I have those three + the Oly 60mm Macro

It covers (almost) everything I need, each one is sharp and fast!

Now if only we had a fast long tele....

-- hide signature --

A mind is like a parachute, it works better when open.

JohnBGood's gear list:JohnBGood's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow