A California Road Trip

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
heulwen
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
Re: A California Road Trip
In reply to tangram, Jan 15, 2013

tangram wrote:

Thanks for the road trip. We are planning a trip to Death Valley in late March and hoping to do lots of photography. Any. Specific location recommendations would be appreciated. We will likely be in a Jeep.

You're welcome, I'm glad you took a look, :). We didn't spend that long in Death Valley, unfortunately, and the little time we had was even more diminished by the horrible weather.
We arrived in the evening, spent the night in Stovepipe Wells, visited the sand dunes at sunrise, drove to Zabriskie Point, Dante's View and then onwards to Vegas. Even some of the major roads were closed so there was no going on any dirt road.
But what I remember best, and what was one of the highlights of the entire trip, was standing out on the dunes in the very early morning. It was completely quiet, so quiet you could hear a whisper a long way. It was magic. That's one place you need to visit, and do it at sunrise, when the sun creates amazing shadows and brings out the texture of the sand. We didn't get any sun, but it was still well worth it.
Of course, you can't forget the night sky. It is supposed to be incredible in Death Valley. One of the things I was most looking forward to on the entire trip. Did unfortunately not see one single star though, boohoo. Just drive away from the lights, the worst parts are the eastern ones, nearer to Vegas, and the area around Furnace Creek, because of some light pollution.
Other than that, can't really recommend anything in special, I had a list of places I wanted to get shots of along Badwater road, but alas, could not go there.
As a hint, take a tele with you. This was a place where I could have used only the 70-300 for my shots. I wanted to capture the texture of the place, the shapes and that could only be done with a tele. The wider ones turned the vast landscape into thin lines of nothingness.
You will have a wonderful trip, that's for sure, Death Valley is a place I would like to visit again in the future, with more time on my hands.

heulwen's gear list:heulwen's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow