Amazing dynamic range of Nikon D600 – even in jpg!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gabriel foto
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Amazing dynamic range of Nikon D600 – even in jpg!
Jan 15, 2013

Hi,

I am not sure that everyone fully understands what the Nikon D600 (or D800) are capable of in terms of image quality. In fact, I believe that if you are a raw shooter, and maybe one who prefers to set your ISO manually, you may have missed the point of this camera.

The D600 is not an evolutionary camera, the way I see it. By improving the sensor output to the extent that Nikon (& Sony) have done in the D600 and D800, the output has entered a new territory where it is possible to use these two cameras in a completely different way than we have been used to.

Exploring my new D600 and a few of these new aspects of using it, I also found that they (as far as I can find out) are new to the collected Internet wisdom on these cameras.

Much of what I found is related to the jpeg output. As a start, you can push shadows an extra couple of steps even from your jpeg pictures.

This is a jpg straight out of the camera, Nikon D600, 50 mm f/1,8 Ai-S pancake lens shot in A mode @ f/2,8.

Matrix metering, no exposure compensation. Camera chose 1/3200 s and ISO 100. ADL set to Auto, picture control Standard, Saturation +1. The picture was taken in Stockholm, September 2012, afternoon light with strong backlight and very harsh contrasts which is the reason that it came out a little underexposed. (Or maybe the exposure is fine, this depends on what you want - we cannot allow histograms to decide our exposures, can we?)

This is the same jpeg picture 12 seconds later, pushing shadows:

To cover it all I started a blog called Nikonsystem - I am trying to cover this, and a lot more than I can ever write in a forum on DPReview. It is not commercial, but just written for my own fun and I will add at least a handful of more posts on other things you can do with a D600. If anyone is interested the blog can be found here: http://nikonsystem.blogspot.com

My hope is to start a iscussion here at DPR. I know there are many qualified persons among you readers out there - please fill in, agree, protest or just have your say. But most of all, I would be interested if you test the same things on your cameras, with your lenses, your exposure, your settings and your post-processing software!

Please note that this is just a start. I am planning on writing a lot more about this, and also other aspects of the D600 (+ D800) jpeg capabilities.

So much has happened with these latest FX cameras, the D800 and D600, that it might be time to completely reconsider how you use your camera.

Gabriel

gabriel foto's gear list:gabriel foto's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 +5 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow