50% Gray in RGB, Lab ang Gray-gamma 2.2: why are different?

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NeroMetalliko
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
50% Gray in RGB, Lab ang Gray-gamma 2.2: why are different?
Jan 15, 2013

Hello,

not sure if this is the most proper forum for this question but my question has a lot to do with printed colors, feel free to redirect me to a most appropriate forum in any case.

I have bought a ColorMunki Photo and started playing with B&W tones using spot readings.

I'm genereating some gray patches and measuring it.

Doing so I have noticed something that I'm not really able to figure out by myself and:

- If I create a new white sRGB image in Photoshop (working space sRGB IEC61966-2.1), select a square and perform Edit - > Fill using 50% Gray in the Content Use drop down menu (blending mode normal and opacity 100%) I get a gray patch of R 128 G128 B128 values. And that's Ok for me.

- Now, if go to Image -> Mode -> Lab Color, and look at the info panel for the L value of the above patch I see L:54 (and not L:50)

- If I select another square and fill with 50% Gray (same procedure as above) I get a L:50 value for this new one.

- Then, if I go to Image -> Mode - Grayscale (using a Gray Gamma 2.2 profile as working space in the preferences) and and look at the info panel for the K value of the above two patches I see K:50% for the first and K:53% for the second

- if I make a third patch now filled with 50% Gray I get a K:50% value

- finally if I go to Image -> Mode -> RGB Color (working space still sRGB IEC61966-2.1) and look at the info panel for the RGB values of the above 3 patches I see 128,128,128 for the first, 119,119,119 for the second and 129,129,129 for the latest one!

Now, If I print this file I get 3 different Grays (CMYK values are different too obviously), but what is really puzzling me is that all these 3 gray patches were namely created using Fill and 50% Gray.

Who is the "real" official reference 50% Gray one of these 3?

Please, can someone explain this mismatch and/or point me towards some learning references online?

Many thanks in advance for the attention.

Ciao

Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow