Started Jan 15, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
guyht
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Need some advice on telephoto lenses for a d5100
Jan 15, 2013

I have had a d5100 for a couple of months now and am really enjoying it.  I have mostly been using the stock 18-55mm lens, but I have recently been given a set of old camera equipment by a relative.

The kit includes (all in mint condition);

A nikon F60

A nikkor 70-300mm lens

A nikkor 35-55mm lens

I dont have much use for the F60, or the 35-55mm lens as its similar to my kit lens (tho slightly faster), but the 70-300mm is a real find as I have been wanting a telephoto ever since I got my d5100.  The issue however, is that the 70-300mm does not have a build in autofocus motor, and relies on the camera's inbuilt motor which the d5100 does not have.

I have taken a lot of pics with the lens using manual focus, and am very happy with it, but obviously an autofocus version would be preferable.

So, my question is... is it worth me selling the 70-300mm (and the 35-55mm + F60) in order to buy a newer lens which has AF-S?  And if yes, what lens should I be looking for (nikon doesnt seem to list a 70-300 lens any more).

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow