NEF conversion issues

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Questions thread
Terrance Vacha
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
Re: NEF conversion issues
In reply to mac701, Jan 15, 2013

Well, this is an important and interesting thread -- right at the heart of our photo processing.

I use Aperture and then branch off into external editors and plug-ins. As I spend more time photographing and printing, I get fussier. As that happens, I end up spending more time per photo and end up in more plug-ins.

Here lately, I am just not as happy with the Aperture raw converter. I have set up presets that convert the photos upon import, but then I am still into other editors and plug-ins. I would really like to get the raw conversion done quicker and more automated - except for those cases where I am into more of a creative mood.

I did try PhotoNinja free trial and like the results for most, but not all photos. I don't like adding another over $100 to my software. But on the other hand, I cannot seem to get the detail and tones I want out of Aperture without a lot of tweaking on every photo. This is partly because I spend a lot of time at this and now have gotten to the point where "good" is just not good enough.

My goal is to stick with Aperture but have some easy and quick raw converter that gives me a great look to the photos -- nice detail, good tones, nice color, good histogram, minimal noise, etc. as the photos are imported.

I am still looking, but will follow this thread.

Terrance Vacha's gear list:Terrance Vacha's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow