Started Nov 28, 2012 | Questions thread
Cartagena Photo
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
Re: Which CZ Lens for A99?
In reply to sean lancaster, Jan 15, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

Shield3 wrote:

The 24-70 Zeiss is really sharp center frame even wide open. It's a heavy little combo on the a99 and I grew tired walking around with this combo, and I'm 39 and a pretty big guy. I found myself reaching for the 24 F/2 Zeiss or the Sigma 50mm F/1.4 - both worked very well on the a99.

Keep this in mind - from about 24mm and wider there will be strange distortions in video mode when you pan. It's not specific to Sony. Also keep in mind that the AF-D feature and the AF range limiter are DISABLED in video mode.

For stills if you don't mind the weight, go for the 24-70. I personally would rather shoot just a prime for stills though - it's lighter and sharper.

That surprises me that you're recommend primes over the Zeiss 24-70 (Zeiss should have pretty high standards to attach their name, I'd think). I really only need a 35 and a 50 (preferably f/1.4 if it's a prime). Would I find primes in Amount that are better than the Zeiss at those 2 focal lengths with regard to sharpness and pleasant out of focus areas?

Hi Sean

It's without doubt a fact that the Sony 50 f/1,4 are far better than the Zeiss 24-70. It's also a fact that the 24 f/2 is better than the 24-70. Even my old Minolta 24-105 are just as good or better at f/8-f/xx especially from 50mm and up.

kind regards

David Cartagena

Cartagena Photo on Flickr

-- hide signature --

Echinacea purpurea

Cartagena Photo's gear list:Cartagena Photo's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 20mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Bridge CS6 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow