Inexpensive tele-coverter for Olympus XZ-1 - any good?

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Randyflycaster
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Inexpensive tele-coverter for Olympus XZ-1 - any good?
In reply to AndreasBraun, Jan 15, 2013

AndreasBraun wrote:

Randyflycaster wrote:

Any thoughts about this tele-converter? I can't afford the TCON-1.7X

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5x-Tele-Converter-for-Olympus-XZ-1-/160830281627?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25723b579b

Is the price too good to be true?

Randy

I would not recommend any optical teleconverter for a high-quality compact like the XZ-1. Having thought about this for quite some time (I've purchased the XZ-1 two years ago) I've chosen to go another route.

The 2560x1920 resolution is more than adequate for almost all of my demands. This will extend the zoom range by a factor of 1.425x without any trade-off in picture quality (extended optical zoom EOZ). The resulting focal length now extends to 160mm.

Above that the digital zoom can be incorporated to some minor extent where it not yet visibly degrades the quality. With "visibly" I'm referring to image scales of up to 600mm by 450mm (24" by 18"). This is achieved with additional digital zoom factors up to 1.5x yielding a total zoom extension range of 1.5x1.425=2.14x translating into 240mm focal length. Only VERY close inspection (100% crop view) will show minute differences in picture quality and this only if perfect targets like the DPreview test picture are used.

Bottom line: without ANY additional piece of equipment and thus maintaining the compactness of the XZ-1 you'll have a zoom range of about 8.6x (28mm to 240mm).

Even if the full resolution 3648x2736 is chosen the likewise also almost unnoticeable picture quality impact with digital zoom up to 1.5x will extend the zoom range to 112mmx1.5=168mm.

Andreas

Andreas,

I'm still learning, so I want to make sure I understand:

Then if I go your route, am I better off not shooting in full resolution and instead stay with 2560x1920?

Thanks,

Randy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow