Need help with some white balance issues

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
DWEverett
Contributing MemberPosts: 563Gear list
Like?
Re: Need help with some white balance issues
In reply to Sailor Blue, Jan 15, 2013

Sailor Blue wrote:

This is a common problem with older fluorescent and some other types of lighting. As fluorescent lights cycle on and off the light will be of different colors at different times during the cycle. The best way to shoot in older fluorescent lighting is with a shutter speed longer than the cycle of the lights - greater than 1/50th or 1/60th of a second depending on the frequency of your electrical supply, 50Hz or 60Hz.

This is not a problem with the newer CFL bulbs since they switch on and off at thousands of times a second but unless they are specifically full spectrum bulbs you may get strange color casts so the use of a WB card is pretty much mandatory.

The mat appears to be gray. Pick out a place on the mat that is visible in every frame and use the WB eyedropper on that place in every frame. The WB won't be correct but the colors will be close to the same for every frame.

Now pick out one frame, record the WB settings, and adjust the WB settings until you get the colors right for that frame. Note down how much the settings have changed. Go to each of the other frames and make the same changes.

You should now have a set of frames with an acceptable WB match that looks pretty close to being correct.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

When I use the mat itself I'm all over the map. (It's actually fairly blue in real life)  I can try to watch the small picture in the upper left on LR and try to select a spot that's giving me a more blue or gray cast and try to get closer but in general it's not working. I did find that if I select the white border for the out of bound marking I get a fairly consistent blue which maybe my best starting point. I wish I could get something more where the gymast is though because the center of the mat is lit by a different light.

The suggestion to get them to match first and then keep track of the relative adjustment value is a great one. I was thinking that I'd live with consistent even if it's wrong but that's a great way to handle it.

DWEverett's gear list:DWEverett's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow