Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
RonJG
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
Re: Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!
In reply to Gary Dean Mercer Clark, Jan 15, 2013

gary mercer wrote:

Here is the quote on the new Sigma DP3M special site:

This provides luminance resolution equivalent to that of a 30MP CFA sensor as measured on the standard B&W resolution chart used in conventional digital camera resolution testing.

Sigma has tested and other professional review sites have tested the DP2M and DP1M and have all said these cameras are providing absurdly high bayer sensor equivalent MP in resolution.

I just don't get these claims.  I've seen a significant amounts of anecdotal claims and plenty of "because I saysoism" but I've never seen the results of objective scientific tests proving these claims.

Here's a non-scientific bunch of facts:

A Sigma X3F, processed to a jpg, taken to Paintshop Pro and zoomed to fill the screen is at 54%.

A Nikon D800E NEF, processed to a jpg, taken to Paintshop Pro and zoomed to fill the screen is at 35%. (Even lowly D600 images fill the screen at 42%)

Can you see a difference here?

If I take the Nikon image and zoom it up to 54% the image is much bigger than the Sigma image and contains much more detail.

I bought the SD1M on the premise I was getting this type of equivalence. Unfortunately it's not happening.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow