Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mano42
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?
G1 convert to IR camera, I need some advices
Jan 15, 2013

I want to transform my G1 to IR capable camera, I washed some tutorials, and I have some questions tough. G1 body is so inexpensive today, it won't worth selling it, and it won't worth sending it to proffesionals for almost 300$ + shipping... so I decided to convert it myself.

- When I dissemble the camera, and I remove the IR blocking filter, it is necessary to replace it with an infrared filter? Can I use a custom 720, 950 IR filter on the lens instead?

Right now if I mount the IR filter on the lens I cannot see a thing, because the sensor's IR blocking filter block the IR spectrum and the lens IR filter block the visible spectrum, so  I will be able to see anything in the EWF or LCD after I remove the IR blocking filter and mount some dark IR filter on the lens, or I will have to shoot blind with bigger exposure times?

(ir filters are quite expensive , 180 $, so I was thinking I can use a lens IR filter instead, cheaper).

- Before removing the IR filter, I have to remove the dust reduction filter, it would do any harm if I mount it back afterwards?

- I read I can screw up the camera factory focusing if I am doing anything wrong, but can I use manual focus instead?

mano42's gear list:mano42's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow