Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RedorBlack
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
King tide photos before sunrise in Tacoma FZ200
Jan 15, 2013

I bought a FZ200 a couple of months back when it first became available in the US.  I've never delved into photography beyond taking pictures to document things or to try and shoot the moon before.  Since getting the FZ200, I've been exploring it's capabilities and stretching my own, weaning myself off auto settings and learning how to take better photos after watching and reading tutorials on the net to see what those of you that have a clue are doing.

I think I'm getting there rapidly and thought I'd show off some shots from this morning.  I went out before dawn to document a this month's winter king tide in Tacoma WA.  I envisioned some awesome shots from a specific spot and that worked out pretty well.  Let's see if I can post them here.  I plan on trying some HDR work and bracketed a bunch of these at 2 stops each way, but haven't been able to get the .RW2 files into Picturenaut.  I did get some of the jpg files to work, but the saved file doesn't look at all like the image I saved.  More learning to do... but give me some input on what you like or would do different in these shots from this morning?

Thanks,
Scott

My favorite shot of the morning... 

This is my favorite, looking across the waterway at the industrial area on the Tacoma Tideflats as the steam coming off the stacks mixes with the cloud cover in the lights.

I viewed a presentation on Youtube a week or so ago about shooting over water at night.  Even makes a tank farm look pretty.

I was down here documenting a January king tide for a  WA State Department of Ecology project to track ocean level rise.  A photo journalist from the Tacoma News Tribune had the same site in mind, but he brought a ladder

Looking towards Dock Street Landing along the Foss Waterway from inside Thea's Park in Tacoma WA.  This is what they call a King Tide.  The highest tides happen in the winter and agencies are looking to see just how high they are getting with global warming.  Last months king tide had them over the sea walls around the Puget Sound.

A cargo ship loaded with grain loading or unloading, and another out in the bay.

Light is coming up now, the colors are completely different than 15 minutes earlier, this is the same area from the first shot, just zoomed in.

What little beach is showing during the king tide.

A friend of mine works in that building across the water doing environmental work.  If I zoom in I think i can resolve her in the third window over

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow