Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
focuspulling
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?
Re: External boom microphone for NEX-6 shipping mid-March (ECM-XYST1M): $159
In reply to LifeIsAVerb, Jan 15, 2013

LifeIsAVerb wrote:

I wouldn't get too excited.

Any camera-mounted mic is always going to produce compromised audio. And a camera-mounted mic connected directly to the camera without a mixer/pre-amp that will disable the camera's automatic gain control further compounds the problem.

First rule of audio capture is to place the mic as close as possible to the sound source. This is often impossible with a camera-mounted mic, since the camera needs to be in the best position for the visual capture, and this is not often going to be close enough to the sound source for the mic to work well. Camera-mounted mics may work well in a few situations, but will produce inferior results in most others.

Camera-mounted mics will also pick up any camera-handling noise, and the ECM-XYST1M (there's a catchy name!) doesn't appear to have any vibration damping built into the mount.

Did you just figure this stuff out last week?  Almost everyone here has been grasping elementary audio principles for ages by now.  This is simply commensurate with the typical scaling down (and up) of choosing gear for the occasion.  I'll be supplementing my NEX-FS100 with XLR audio and shock-mounted shotgun with this combination as a run-and-gun portable unit and B-camera from time to time.  Never was an option until this came along.

focuspulling's gear list:focuspulling's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow