Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richaobg
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
TIFF Banding in Aperture
Jan 15, 2013

I recently started using NIK's Silver Efex plugin with Aperture and am generally pleased with the results. However, I notice that when the TIFF of an image with a darkened sky is roundtripped back into Aperture, it often appears in Aperture with banding throughout the gradation of the sky tones (quite pronounced in the upper right and left of the sample image (screenshot) that I've uploaded).

Banding throughout gradation

The banding is apparent at all zoom sizes in Aperture and at all loupe magnifications, though it was not apparent in the plugin viewer when making adjustments and it is not visible when I reopen in the plugin. Moreover, when I export the photo, whether as a TIFF (8 bit or 16 bit) or as  JPG, there is no banding:

No banding; perfect gradation from light to dark (JPG).

Now, obviously, I'd rather have this problem than the other way 'round, but it's still rather annoying. Is there a flaw in how Aperture displays tiff files? Is there a way to distinguish between Aperture display issues and actual problems with the image, aside from exporting every single image and viewing it in Preview? One (well, I) could waste a great deal of time trying to resolve issues like this, notwithstanding that they apparently exist nowhere but in Aperture's brain. Thoughts?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow