Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Triebe
Contributing MemberPosts: 573Gear list
Like?
Sony has improved their 49mm lens cap
Jan 15, 2013

I've not seen this in the forum before, but with the arrival, of my new 35mmSEL18, I noticed a small but very significant improvement on the 49mm lens cap that came with the lens. With all the other lenses that I own that take the 49mm lens cap (the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the NEX-7, 16mm, 50 f1.8, and the 55-210mm), when you try and attach or remove the cap with the lens hood reversed on the lens, you can almost be guaranteed that the lens cap will end up on the floor. This is because to remove the lens cap you need to insert your fingertips into the recessed portion on the front, grip and squeeze the two little spring loaded ears, and withdraw. Unfortunately even with my relatively small fingers, gripping those little ears is difficult and usually the lens cap "squirts" of from between my fingers and crashes to the floor. Fortunately with the lens cap that shipped with the 35mm, while it looks the same as the others, it has two small ridges on the front edge of the "ears" which makes for a much more substantial grip.

A close examination of the caps shows them to be virtually identical, except for the code 2C printed on the inside of the older caps, and 10C printed on the new cap. This is enough of an improvement that I'm going to try and order the new caps from Sony.

John Triebe's gear list:John Triebe's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha 7R +37 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow