Flat view
Teak
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
Shout out to Tim Ashley - Nikon 1.8g
Jan 14, 2013

I just read your blog on this lense

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2012/8/the-28mm-f1-8g-nikkor-on-d800

What caught my eye was the first comment at the bottom by Fabian. I quote...

Fabian(non-registered)

But only when using the phase-detect auto-focus points!...
Some notes on this, which you may or may not have realized: the lens auto-focus is calibrated such that the lens will back-focus when a center AF point is used, and front-focus when an edge AF point is used (within the depth-of-field limits), to ensure that the focal plane stays sharp despite the field curvature of this lens.
Hi Tim. Great series of articles! My experience with this lense is bang on with his comments. All the pictures I took at f 1.8 or f 2.8 with this lense using single point auto focus on manual were back focused. So does that mean it is optimised for "Auto" setting. I hope not. I noticed that backfocusing was not an issue at those apertures on Shutter Priority or Program setting.   I am really keen to get my copy working consistenly so am looking for all the insights I can get.   Thanks
 Teak's gear list:Teak's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +9 more
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow