Do you think the image of SD14(SD15/DP1/2) is cleaner than that of SD1m(DP1m/2m) ?

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Questions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 19,516Gear list
Like?
Re: The Clark Article is Simply Wrong
In reply to xpatUSA, Jan 14, 2013

xpatUSA wrote:

Looks like we're approaching agreement - I do agree that down-sampling, properly done, can improve IQ.

Yepp

As far as S/N ratio is concerned, I'm not certain that well-depth can simply be increased for a Foveon sensor because it's layers have to be at specific depths:

As to "some kind of clever dynamic range enhancement", can't really respond to such speculation - sorry.

For Foveon, I assume both are out of the question. Foveon pixels are enough complicated already.

But ... for ordinary sensors (with Bayer filters) thats a totally different story.

Lets say that you have

R X
G B

Instead of

R G
G B

Where X is a sensor without filter. Then that pixel would be moire sensible, digging deeper in the shadows.

X could also be a dark grey filter. That could improve high light properties.

There are other solutions. One could make the detectors logarithmic by making them less sensitive when they are charged. Possible? I dont know

What I do know though is that there is lots of reseach on this topic and that consumer products generally dont use the result from such research, for some reason

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow