Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Penny123
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
Getting used to a macro lens
Jan 14, 2013

I have been tempted by a macro lens for a while now and finally bit the bullet on the nikon af-s 40mm.  I rented it for the weekend and then decided to buy it.... as expected I am having mixed results but overall happy with my purchase.

The good thing about it is that it is getting me using manual mode more and as I do so I am already starting to get a better understanding of shutter speeds, iso and aperture.  What it isn't great at is getting true macro photos in poor light if wanting most of the subject to be in focus although is great a little further back at 2.8.

The only slight issue I am having so far and it is down to me... is focusing is very tricky the closer I get to my subject especially if a very small area.  Does anyone have any advice apart from using a tripod.  Patience?

One thing I did find a bit odd in some photos I took today was this image, not taken in full macro setting and I used auto focus... but the centre point where I focused is out of focus but the surrounding areas are.

Hoping we can get some sunshine so I can get out practicing lots more but here is a link to some of my test shots so far.

http://sarahbrown.smugmug.com/Other/Macro-Testing/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow