A few questions for owners of the Nikkor 28mm f/1.8g lens

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Teak
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
Re: A few questions for owners of the Nikkor 28mm f/1.8g lens
In reply to paulski66, Jan 14, 2013

Mine required +13 adjustment per LensAlign II and FocusTune at 1.8 and 2.8. I believe f4 was +9 but I have yet to confirm. I want to do a second round of testing before making any changes.

The problem is I used this lens extensively back in October for a trip. I found that pictures taken at 1.8 and 2.8 were consistenly back focused while those at f4 onwards were sharp. I did the LensAlign / FocusTune calibration in December over the Christmas break. I found that at the suggested adjustment, f2.8 pictures sharpened considerably and the backfocus issue dissapeared. The f1.8 pictures were still a tad soft.

Overall I am a little disappointed. I had tested another copy at Vistek before the trip (actually two) and the one in the box was really out of focus (you could make it out even on the LCD screen). The one on display was tack sharp however, they would not sell that one. So I went to another place and picked one up.

I usually shoot between 2.8 and 8 so getting 2.8 sharp is critical for me. I believe you can assign lens adjustment to U1 and U2 so I may use one for f2.8 and other for F4 onwards.

HTH.

Teak's gear list:Teak's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow