Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
focuspulling
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?
External boom microphone for NEX-6 shipping mid-March (ECM-XYST1M): $159
Jan 14, 2013

After much (justified) complaining about Sony's appalling price point for the XLR boom microphone module designed for their new multi interface shoe on the NEX-VG900 and NEX-6, CES has revealed a fine alternative, and pre-orders are being taken now for a mid-March 2013 delivery date:

Link to Sony Store

See the above picture for its combination with the NEX-6. It even includes a high-quality "dead cat" windscreen, along with a storage bag and cable for independent audio output.

This is a huge win for the NEX-6. I had been edging toward upgrading my NEX-5 to the NEX-5r so that I could keep using my ECM-SST1 which is incompatible with the NEX-6, but the "compact stereo microphone" always had poor audio quality, with a bad signal-to-noise ratio, while this new ECM-XYST1M seems sure to outperform its predecessor.

Note that Sony has also announced an LED and IR light that mounts on, but is NOT powered from, the new multi interface shoe as well:

Link to Sony Store

I'm pleasantly surprised by the price point and speed to market of the ECM-XYST1M. You?

focuspulling's gear list:focuspulling's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +17 more
NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow