Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,359Gear list
Like?
Re: My take on Windows 8
In reply to malch, Jan 14, 2013

malch wrote:

Hmmm, I fear the point was... missed.

Win 7 represented a huge improvement over Vista. That made for happy users.

Win 8 doesn't represent a huge improvement over Win 7 -- mainly some UI changes that clearly annoy a non-trivial proportion of users.

Yes, for Windows 7 users I don't see a need to upgrade to 8 unless you like the interface or want something shiny and new.

But I wouldn't push a person away from Windows 8 that is in the market of upgrading or buying new hardware , especially those that are still on XP or Vista.

Windows 8, in itself, is not a bad OS.  It's fast and stable.  It is just...different from first inspection.  It's interface isn't bad either, I've grown to enjoy it an some of its new shortcuts without the need of a 3rd party Start Menu utility.

I think the short term sales reports are going to reflect this.  So many people hopped on board when Windows 7 came out, majority of them are not ready to upgrade yet.  I think the sales are going to be slow, not so much because people are rejecting it but because many people out there are not ready to upgrade their equipment.

It also doesn't help that hardware itself, in respect to CPU speeds, hasn't grown dramatically over the past few years.  We have seen more in the way of optimizations and lowered power consumption than pure, raw performance when looking at CPUs in mainstream machines.  Memory and hard drive sizes have been growing faster than mainstream people can take advantage of them, all the while dropping in price.  And graphics card, well, have been the only piece of hardware so far where the technological improvements have grown leaps and bounds with each generation, but this caters more towards the gamers and enthusiasts in the consumer market than the mainstream users.  And let's face it, mainstream is where most of the sales occur.

Another thing to think about is that the Windows 8's system requirements are no different than Windows 7, and Windows 7's was not much different than Vista's.  We are now in a phase where OS requirements do not require the latest and greatest hardware in order to run smoothly.  Past OS's , Vista and earlier, on their release date had system requirements or recommendations that caused lower end machines to run at a crawl.  This was because of either the memory or CPU requirements being high for the time, mostly memory related from my experience.

With 7 and 8, this was no longer the case.  RAM is cheap, the system requirements to get the OS to run smoothly allowed older machines to run it with little to no issue (providing driver support was there).  So the OS is no longer being the huge restriction on a machine's performance, but as such it is also no longer a catalyst for hardware manufacturers to make improvements to improve the OS experience (which, in turn, improves their experience with the software).  The push for hardware improvement is now, more than ever, reliant upon the software that is running on the OS.  It's a double edge sword.  The OS is no longer being the main performance restriction it once was, but now it is one less thing to drive hardware improvements.

Because of what I mentioned above, I predict most Windows 7 users won't be in the market for an upgrade until late this year or sometime next year.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yepNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow