Long telephoto lens for landscape photography with D800

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
A Owens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,150
Like?
Re: Long telephoto lens for landscape photography with D800
In reply to p m h, Jan 14, 2013

p m h wrote:

Need recommendation for long telephoto lens (200mm-400mm) for landscape photography to be used with a D800e camera.

I currently use a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII combined with TC-20E III which produces acceptable results. But recently i had the opportunity to use a rented AF-S 300mm f/2.8G ED VRII which completely blew my mind. However, it costs more than my budget allows.

My situation looks like this:

• Looking for something in the Range of 200mm-400mm. Zoom lens is not a must though, prime (e.g., 300mm) will work.
  • Will use it for landscape shots, so autofocus has lower priority than sharpness. I am okay with Manual focus.
  • Will mostly use f8-f16.
  • Weight is not an issue since i won't be using the lens for long hikes.

Any help with choosing the right lens would be greatly appreciated.

I love taking landscape photos using telephoto lenses. Here are some samples taken mostly with my 70-200mm+2x tele and D700. Sorry, no D800e tele pic to share yet.

Very nice lanscapes.

I have yet to purchae a 300mm for my 800e but from what I have learned so far am gravitating toward the 300/F4 as a short term option. My first choice would be a Leica APO Telyt R 280mm f4 280/4 but they are rather hard to find and quite pricey but I hope to pick one up eventually. I have the little 180/F3.2 APO Telyt and it is a gem on the 800e.

As a landscaper I have no interest in hauling an F2.8 around. I would also suspect that at the F16 end of your f stop range that the resolving power of the lens is not so important.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow