Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,939Gear list
Like?
70-200 VRII vs. Tamron 70-300 VC
Jan 14, 2013

Recently I suggested that some folks, perhaps even a majority, might enjoy the Tamron 70-300 VC more than Nikon's very good 70-200 F4 which was recently released. As most of us know the F4 lens is very nice and sharp, quite close to the Nikon 70-200 VRII at F4, which is certainly pro level.

With that in mind I'd like to pit the Tamron (which costs 450.00 new vs. 2300.00 that I paid for the Nikon) against the beautiful VRII optic.

Here is our patriotic subject!

I've taken a lot of shots, but lets go with 200mm to get started, since folks are generally curious about the longer end of these zooms...

You're welcome to your own conclusions, but here are mine: The VRII has a BIT more inherent contrast and a tiny edge in sharpness. Even at about F5 the VRII still retains a more buttery bokeh. But...the Tamron is not slumming. It's quite sharp and the bokeh is very good. One side-note: The Tamron, which goes to 300mm, is fully capable of a true 200mm at closes distances. Due to focus breathing the VRII and F4 VRII are not.

Now let's try a snap at 300mm. Why? Because some websites (and people who are certain those sites know what they're doing) have said the Tamron is not sharp at 300mm or less so than the Nikon or whatever!

All of these shots are handheld with the D800. With VC and VR on and no tripod I'm sure you realize we could have even sharper results, but you probably also know that these are fairly nice results.

From a previous thread here is (I know, not the eye again!) another example of the Tamron's sharpness...

Right off the bat I was happy to see my expensive VRII outpace the Tamron just as it did the new F4.

Naturally there's a LOT more to a lens than sharpness in the center area of the frame. And with that in mind please stand-by for more tests and samples!

Cheers!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow~New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow