New to micro 4/3rds.... lenses..?

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
number_6
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
Re: New to micro 4/3rds.... lenses..?
In reply to slimandy, Jan 14, 2013

The Panasonic 20/1.7 is an outstanding lens.  It is a little bit slower to focus than some of the newer lenses, but I've never found it to be a problem.  There are also reports of banding issues with it at high ISO.  I've never shot it at high ISO on my OM-D, so I can't tell you how bad it is.  Past these two minor issues, it always amazes me with its sharpness.

The Oly 60mm macro is another outstanding lens.  It is very sharp and surprisingly small and light.  I think it would make a fine portrait lens, however I find that it isn't the fastest lens to focus and it has to frequently hunt around.  It is probably just that I have its focus range selector switch set to the wrong range because I mostly use it for macro, which means I rarely use its AF capability.

Other fantastic primes:

Oly 45mm f/1.8 - Incredibly sharp, tiny and cheap.  Very fast AF.  Produces incredible bokeh.  This is my go to portrait lens.  Probably highest value/$$ of any m4/3 prime IMO.  As close to a "must-have" as any m4/3 lens comes.

Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 - Fastest "affordable" prime for m4/3.  Very sharp, great bokeh (not as good as the 45 IMHO).  Incredibly fast auto-focus.  A bit large for a m4/3 prime, but not huge.  If you don't use the 20mm pancake for your standard lens, this is the obvious alternative.  I own both.

Oly 12mm f/2.0 - I don't own this one, but I've heard good things.  It is expensive, but I've seen it again and again in a lot of folks informal "holy-trinity" of m4/3 primes, which would be:

Oly 12, Panasonic 25 and Oly 45

Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye - ´╗┐Manual focus/aperture, but very sharp and very cheap (if you like fisheye).

Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 - 35mm equivalent at f/0.95, yes please.  This is pretty high on my wishlist, but is quite expensive and manual focus.  Also very large/heavy for a m4/3 lens.  It produces gorgeous images, however.

number_6's gear list:number_6's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow