About Olympus and abandonment.

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
PaulSnowcat
Contributing MemberPosts: 668Gear list
Like?
I doubt it very much...
In reply to Bernard au Clairvaux, Jan 14, 2013

I was a 4/3 user some years ago... And, I must say, I was a HAPPY 4/3 user. I was happy with my E30 and E3, and with my lenses...

And then I was eagerly waiting the coming of E5. I thought Olympus will give us something innovative, revolutionary, great and never-before-seen, as it did earlier with several of it's cameras.

But then E5 came... It was complete disappointment. Nothing new at all! I've sold my Oly gear 2 month after E3 release, because it was obviously the system's death.

And seeing price drops on all Oly's gear makes me think i was right. Unfortunately.

I went to SONY. Sony now seems to be THE innovative company, Olympus was once, and Sony shows how it all SHOULD be done back then. They also have mirrorless cameras, but they do not abandon anyone, they keep both systems alive. NEX system has an adapter that converts any NEX camera into fully-functional alpha camera. That adapter even has a screwdriver for older lenses! This is how things should be really done.

Now I own a quite big system based on A77 camera, but still I have no lens that can compare to ZD 50-200. But hey, I have a great camera with many useful features, the system is growing and it really develops! Few years ago there was nothing that could compare with ZD 12-60, now there's a Sony 16-50/2.8 that is as good as Oly was. And last but not least, I feel PROTECTED. I know I can buy lenses and I know I will use them in coming years on new great cameras! This is very important.

I often think... If only Olympus would continue to develop E system. E5 easily could be better back then then Sony A77 is now, no questions. During these years they could've manufactured new lenses, making their system more complete... But alas...

I'll never trust Oly again now, for they twice completely abandoned their users (OM and E) and I'll never feel safe and protected with their gear

-- hide signature --
 PaulSnowcat's gear list:PaulSnowcat's gear list
Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow