Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,650Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to Lobalobo, Jan 14, 2013

Lobalobo wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

If you choose the Auto upper limit for Auto ISO then it will never use any higher than ISO 1600. I know ISO 1600 vs. ISO 3200 doesn’t sound like much. However, the difference between 1/60th of a second and 1/120th of a second shutter speed can be huge in certain situations.

That's the step I was missing, that full Auto ISO has a cap lower than one that can be manually set. Thanks.

Set up the camera as I have described and try it out against the A,S,M modes. In good outdoor lighting you probably will get good results with any of those options. However, if you go inside you will need to manually adjust the settings to get the other modes to work.

I'll certainly give this a try, but I am curious. You mention that the LX7 lens is sharpest stopped down slightly from fully open. Do you know what the optimal f/ stop is and whether that varies across zoom range? I ask, because I rarely use the LX7 when I want to set and forget (I have a ZS20 for that). So what I'm thinking I'm going to try, following part of your advice, is to set the aperture optimally in A mode along with a minimum shutter speed of at least 1/125 then set the ISO manually for the conditions. This is close to the equivalent of shooting manually except that if I set the ISO high enough for the lighting conditions, I'll save the step of manually matching the shutter speed to the light meter (and if I guess wrong on the ISO and can't get a proper exposure on these settings, I can just then raise the ISO). In sum, lots of control with minimum fuss. Have you tried to shoot this way? In any case, thanks for taking the time to respond.

The biggest misconception in photography is that sharpness is everything. We are talking about 9+ megapixel cameras here. You better be printing REALLY BIG if you think you need more detail than 9+ megapixels can give you.

In all honesty the difference in stopping down is not significant with smaller sensor lens cameras that have decent glass. The LX7 fits in that category. It has a great and fast lens that is wonderful wide open. It is the ideal point and shoot camera. Use it that way if that suites your needs.

Everyone seems to think that you have to use a point and shoot only camera for point and shoot images. That is completely incorrect. A true point and shoot camera is just a bad camera for anything but very bright light and in those cases your phone will work just as well.

The only reason I mentioned that the ND filter can select the ideal aperture for sharpness is that it does that without any penalty. You can turn that feature on and then forget about it. It will turn it on and do its magic only when it is needed.

If you are in low light situations that require a wider aperture camera might as well not have the ND filter. It should and will never be triggered if you choose the options I described.

Basically you really just need to try the settings I recommended and see if they fit with your shooting style. If they do then great. If not then you might have to make a few tweaks. However, I am fairly confident that these settings will work well for most people in all situations.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow