Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rockwallaby
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
What is with a lock on a battery??
Jan 14, 2013

Recently bought a D3200 which takes an EN-EL 14 battery.  I always get a spare battery for my cameras so I got online to find a source.  Yikes, some people want 25% of what I paid for the whole new D3200 body, crazy prices just for a battery.  Ok, ebay looked the go and ordered one.

It arrived today and after charging and installing it in the D3200, the camera tells me to fit the correct battery.  Now wait a minute, the battery says it is an EN-EL 14, has the same electrcal specs and looks identical to the Nikon version.

So after investigation I find that the batteries are now "locked" to the actual camera model.  The battery I bought will work in a Nikon P7000.  My mistake totally but it has made me annoyed to know that Nikon aims to limit the buyer of their product to only use the hugely marked up price OE batteries they offer.  If anything, this experience has now made me more determined to get aftermarket batteries.  So much for free market consumerism.

So, it seems that batteries are no longer just an energy supply device but a smart object that needs to talk to the host before it is allowed to power the device.

Just imagine the uproar if electronics manufacturing companies did the same trick for AAA batteries used in TV remotes.

Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow