Amateur film-maker needs help buying first camera.

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?
Re: Amateur film-maker needs help buying first camera.
In reply to Dxterity, Jan 14, 2013

Dxterity wrote:

Virginia Bill wrote:

It's like shouting down a well, isn't it? OP is determined to buy a Canon 60D no matter what more knowledgeable people say. He was told three times to look closely at a mirrorless camera (complete with helpful explanations) but refuses to respond to the advice. So he'll probably buy that outfit cobbled together by a camera shop, realize later that most of the stuff is junk, and eventually learn that the 60D, while a fine stills camera, doesn't do video very well.

It's because some of you are saying it's good but there's better. Then I go read articles and other forums and they say it's the next best thing aside from getting a Mark 2 in regard to taking video... No where else am I seeing the "mirrorless" camera is better. I've also read the GH3 is not very good in low light situations compared to the 60D.

OK, let's go through this one more time, trying to apply logic and reason and facts rather than "he said/she said".

"Then I go read articles and other forums and they say it's the next best thing aside from getting a Mark 2 in regard to taking video..."

Do THEY give any facts or reasons why 5D2 is better for shooting video, rather than just "they say"? I gave you plenty of real reasons why DSLTs and mirrorless (those specific models) are better.

"No where else am I seeing the "mirrorless" camera is better."

That means you are visiting wrong forums. Probably, Canon fans forums. Canon, my favorite for many years, did not update their technology for at least 4 years now (since 5D2 release), their big sensors still use the ancient 500 nm technology while everybody else is on 180 nm for long time, same with processors (including in video, everybody have 1080p60 in new cams, even compacts, Canon does not even in brand new $6700 1Dx and $3500 5D3), so their cameras suck in comparison to everybody else, their former glory is gone. They are latest in the mirrorless game, dead last, and their play is absolutely pathetic EOS M, worst of them all, having zero redeeming qualities for itself. Some Canon fans are still in denial (and you probably heard their "advices", or just ignoramuses who heard something of 4-y/o vintage), some are in grief, and some are accepted the fact and migrated to Nikon or m43. Maybe prematurely, because the sleeping giant has to wake up some day. Maybe with 7D2 we will see a sensor built on modern tech again.

"I've also read the GH3 is not very good in low light situations compared to the 60D."

I doubt you could have heard a lot of definite good info, GH3 is very new and not readily available. From what I have seen, it's high ISO still quality is about the same as the sensor in Olympus E-M5/E-PL5/E-PM2:

And we know how this one compares to 60D:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/840|0/%28brand%29/Olympus/%28appareil2%29/663|0/%28brand2%29/Canon

As you can see, the m43 sensor is better in every category, despite being a little smaller.

Now, the still quality has very little to do with video quality. First, no large sensor can be read 60 (or 30) times a second in their entirety yet. Different cameras deal in different ways with the problem. For example, Canon 5D2 only uses every 3rd line of the sensor for video. Yes, losing 2/3 of the light in the process. Here goes FF light advantage. Now, video compression is what loses a lot of quality in digital cameras. Canon 5D2 has very respectable 38 mbps (at not very efficient Base Profile though). Panasonic GH3 goes up to 72 mbps. And of course 60p, intraframe coding and all that.

Enough facts, or still he said/she said?

P.S. I have nothing against Canon, but if you want Canon specifically, it is a simple fact that they are not at the top of their game at the moment (at least for cameras below $6700 in price), and it is better to wait for their next move before giving them any money for their 4+ y/o tech.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow