SMSab
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 650D - Best WiDE Angle Lens?
In reply to photonius, Jan 14, 2013

photonius wrote:

SMSab wrote:

Hello guys

I am planning to buy a wide angle lens for my 650D to mainly use it for the video / movie making and during the research I came across a UK based website review in which 8 wide angle lenses were compared for different brands of DSLRs and for the Canon APS-C like 650D it suggested Sigma 8-16MM f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM though before making the purchase I really want have some good in put from the forum members to make the best decision.

Objective: I need the Wide Angle Lens for making movies while having the look and the feel of a Full Frame DSLR like Canon D5 Mark III - so in very simple words I cant afford the D5 Mark III so want a low price but affective solution

Please help me guys.

The web link: http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-wide-angle-lenses-8-tested-1047960/1.

Thanks.

Hmm, the sharpness tests on that site look really strange. The olympus cameras surely don't have such a big advantage over canon/nikon in terms of sharpness. Analyzing jpgs sounds sure fishy, because each manufacturers can give different default parameters to their jpgs. And you can't really compare across different camera systems.

Anyway, have a look at the photozone.de tests. (and or slrgear and the digital picture).

Having said that, the Canon 10-22 is indeed a good lens. The Sigma 8-16 is also a good lens.

The main question is perhaps what focal lengths you want, and whether you want to use filters, attachments in front of the lens (filters can be more meaningful for video, since postprocessing can be more difficult than with still).

-- hide signature --

*** Life is short, time to zoom in *** ©

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the website photozone.de (really good info).

As a APS-C cam user I honestly dont feel being limited when it comes on focal length though at times you really want to have everything in the frame and thats the point the need/craving for getting the full frame cam starts kicking though not in the affordability range though having ultra wide angle lens might do some compensation. Sigma seems nice and so is Canon and Tokina are also good though having the focal length coverage of 8mm seems too tempting.

SMSab's gear list:SMSab's gear list
Canon EOS 650D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow