Scanning

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
hemi71cuda
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Re: Scanning
In reply to hemi71cuda, Jan 14, 2013

hemi71cuda wrote:

I have taken on the task of digitizing both my father's and my grandfather's slide collections. In total it's 6,000+. With that kind of volume theres really no reasonable option other than DSLR based scanning as has been mentioned here. This is the video I used for a model:

http://youtu.be/jnvhBXQrfzQ

All I had to do was buy a macro lens(used 90mm Tamron). I didn't have and didn't want to spend the money on that macro rail setup so I just prop the camera up with whatever I can find and then use index cards to finely adjust the level of the camera and lens. I did some experiemnting with camera settings and ended up turning DRO off, setting a custom white balance, turning sharpness down to -3 and using evaluative auto exposure in aperture priority mode. Then I watch as the pictures come up and if necessary I carefully add some exposure compensation if the image is dark/bright. For such a large volume of slides, I couldn't imagine doing this with a flatbed scanner or even the dedicated Nikon slide scanners that can only run 5 slides at a time.

Post processing is required. I put together a photoshop automation which flips the images, crops off the edges, and does a color/levels adjustment. Once that's dialed in you can just start it and walk away. Dust and scratches are an issue though. I couldn't get the dust-scratch filter in photoshop to anything worthwhile so if I find an image I care about that has issues I open it manually and fix it with the healing brush.

Turns out it's more like 20,000 slides! I did about 10,000 on site over the holiday. My makeshift setup was a lot of hassle. Every time I had to free a stuck/jammed slide or carousel the alignment between camera and image would get messed up. I ordered a cheap macro rail on amazon and built this contraption yesterday:

The supports for the projector look sloppy but they are all screwed together and have dimples for the projector feet to sit in. Works well but the remaining slides are not in carousels which means manually loading and unloading 40 at a time.

hemi71cuda's gear list:hemi71cuda's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A57 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow