D800e AF settings confusion

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rich42
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Re: D800e AF settings confusion
In reply to RGT5, Jan 14, 2013

RGT5 wrote:

This is slightly off topic. Have you found the green dot to be accurate representation when using manual focus on D800e.

I'm pretty sure it is, but I'm not 100% certain.

I have the Nikon DK-17M eyepiece magnifier which makes focusing from the viewfinder screen much easier than form the un-magnified view. I mostly rely on the screen. I believe the green focus confirmation coincides with "eyeballing" the focus very well. This is true for the AiS 105 mm f/2.5, 135 mm f/2.8 and 200 mm f/4.0. I can't speak for other lenses. I believe wider optics (f/1.8, 1.4 or 1.2) would make manual focusing from the screen easier, but they probably wouldn't benefit from the confirmation dot as that is a function of the Auto Focus mechanism, which has been described elsewhere as not benefitting from apertures wider than about f/5.6.

There are some problems using the green dot to achieve "manual focus.". One is that there is a bit of focus ring travel between the appearance of one or the other of the flanking green triangles (dot disappears or blinks) and a smaller amount of travel during which the dot stays "solid." This is not slop in the lens - it moves in and out a trifle as the ring turns yet the green dot does not change. I guess this gives some indication of a small "dead zone" or hysteresis in the AF system behavior which is probably normal and necessary.

A second problem is that the green dot is so far off to the bottom of the viewfinder. It is difficult to shift view to the dot while concentrating on the scene in the viewfinder. This is especially true when hand-holding and following action. It would be great if the actual focus spot lit up as well as the green dot. It is not a problem when the camera is tripod-mounted and I'm working more deliberately. Then it's easy to shift my eye to the dot.

Rich

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow