What battery life do you get from Epl3?

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Questions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,621Gear list
Like?
Re: What battery life do you get from Epl3?
In reply to photofan1986, Jan 14, 2013

photofan1986 wrote:

My dad recently bought a brand new kit Epl3 with the 14-42II and 40-150R lens for 350€ with a free pouch and 8GB class 10 SD. Great deal!

Extraordinary deal!!!

But we noticed that the camera eats battery for breakfast. For the three first charges, we got around 300 pictures (around 100 per charge). This does not seem normal to me.Do you think the battery might be faulty?

No this is not normal. Your dad should be getting around 300 shots per charge -- even 50-100% more if burst shooting.

BUT that depends on how you shoot. If you use iAUTO mode, then 100 shots or so is not surprising. The problem is that in iAUTO (also iA in Panny in my experience) the camera is busy making adjustments all the time it is switched on. I noticed this particularly when I had my (older) 40-150 fitted to my E-PL3. The older 40-150 (pre-R) is a bit noisy i focusing and I noticed it constantly hunting -- eating up battery power like mad.

In addition, the stupid little accessory flash sucks up a fair bit of power if your dad is using that.

So try shooting in "P", "A", or "S" mode (I actually use P mode a lot of the time) and see what battery life is like then.

Having said all that, generic batteries work fine and are pretty cheap. I wouldn’t go out with the camera without a spare battery in my pocket.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow