The triangle of exposition : what about shutter speed?

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CroquantBouche
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
The triangle of exposition : what about shutter speed?
Jan 14, 2013

Hello everyone!

I've been a lurker for quite some time on this forum, and I decided it was time for me to ask my first question. English is not my first language so I apologize in advance for any weird sentence

Just a bit of context here : my passion is baking. I thought it would be really nice to have nice pictures of the pastries I bake, and therefore, started to learn about food photography. I did a couple of workshops to get the basic knowledge and to practice a bit.

I started to do some testing with a bowl of eggs to try to get more comfortable with the manual and Aperture mode. And it did not go as well as I wanted. Hopefully, some of you will be able to help me out

It was kind of dark and cloudy when I took my picture. It was 3 pm and the window where the light is coming from is positioned east.

I'm using my office camera which is a Canon 20 D with a Zoom Lens EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6.

I tried manual first:

From what I have learned (and as I said, I'm a beginner), I decided that I wanted an ISO of 100 and the lowest f since I wanted a nice blurry background (5.6 was the lowest) and not too much noise in the picture.

But then I got confused with the shutter speed - I did not know at all what would be a good value for this situation. And honestly, I did some test from one extreme to the other, and I'm not sure I was satisfied with any of them.

What should I do next?

Also, the picture took a long time before it was taken... Because of the lack of light, I'm assuming?

Sorry about the long introduction. In summary here are my questions:

1. What are the first steps to do when you are on manual for food photography? Should you choose the ISO and Aperture first, or other parameters? What are good averages values of the shutter, iso and aperture you can start with, and what should you change afterwards if you are not satisfied.

I just feel I'm not too sure what to do and I would need some kind of steps to help me a bit

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Rachel

xxx

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow