Can Sigma 35/1.4 also trouble the waters for Nikon 24/1.4?

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Emil Varadi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006Gear list
Like?
Re: Can Sigma 35/1.4 also trouble the waters for Nikon 24/1.4?
In reply to SanMat, Jan 13, 2013

SanMat wrote:

Personally I think it may be too difficult to compare those lenses directly, since the angle of view is so much different. From all reports I've seen that Nikon 24mm is a tremendous lens - is the new Sigma 35mm the only lens you would look at for replacing it?

Pete

Actually I was initially thinking about the 14-24 and the 24-70 zooms and already have the 70-300VR as some sort of a modified trinity. I would never buy the 70-200VR as its just too big to be carried around and the 70-300 can be just as good on a hi-ISO camera. Plus I would have to buy an FF camera later, probably the D800E.

All this together is too much cost, so I decided a different strategy. No trinity lenses. Keep my DX lenses on the  D800E and pepper my collection with top primes instead, buying one at a time as I can save my money. Thereby I can get the image I want with the DX lenses in the range between 18-450mm and the IQ would surely be better than on the D300.

By buying top primes, I can reach for the skies IQ-wise on the D800E. The big dilemma was the 14-24, since it's such a good lens. I used a borrowed copy last summer on a foto trip to Iceland and it was terrific, but damned heavy. (With the 14-24, the 28-70 plus two other lenses my bag was as heavy as if it was filled with brics.) So weight certainly does matter.

When I realized that over 30% of my pictures is shot at 24mm, the 24/1.4 came into the picture. It's a dream lens that had been always mentioned in pair with the 35/1.4. Therefore it was a very big shock that the new Sigma 35/1.4 just recently cornered Nikon's 35/1.4. If its soo good why not buy it at sub 1000 dollar prices instead of shoveling out nearly 2000 for the 24/1.4.

But I'm not sure whether this DX + top primes strategy would work in reality since the D800E is very unforgiving with less than top lenses. So I will have to ask this in the D800 forum.

Emil Varadi's gear list:Emil Varadi's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow