Simple question:

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,908Gear list
Like?
Re: Their own
In reply to Laurence Matson, Jan 13, 2013

Laurence Matson wrote:

The competition is internal: collectively, about 500 million in research invested in the Bayer approach.

That sounds low.

Although everyone continues to beetch about the Sigma bodies, there is a surprising number of people in this thread alone - as well as elsewhere in the forum in general - who happen to find them good to very good. The usual response is that they do not have enough experience with any of the other great stuff. But that is not quite true, as responders consistently make clear.

Hmmmm .. I at least have not said that. Now, as you know, I dont own a Sigma camera. And I can only go after what I have read and that I have used a DP2 briefly. And although I did not dislike the DP2, it forced me to reach for my inner Zen calm because of its unusual slowness.

BTW - that those that like and buy the Sigma cameras like Sigma cameras is not a surprise

I, for one, do not like the idiotic menu approach taken by most of the manufacturers. I prefer something like an M7. For this reason, I far prefer my DPxMs to my NEX. The latter only gets used for video. Have you ever tried to quickly change something in one of those on the fly? Rots of ruck.

I also prefer the Leica solution, which actually was the standard solution once upon a time, both for manual and automatic cameras. Its logical and sound.

On Pentax you have a very nice solution. You have two wheels and the green button. The green button resets aperture and time to the one normally chosen by Auto. The two wheels changes aperture and time. If you have the PASM setting on P, then changing the value on one wheel changes the other to keep the same exposure. If you have it on M, then it do not.

As for the reasons why Foveon was not more broadly accepted, you need look no further than internal errors made back then, a broad front with deceptive tactics to undercut them erected by the rest of the industry (in particular, one or two major players), and continued pressure from commercial interests (look no further than what goes on on this site, which once tried to be out front).

Do you seriously claim that "the rest of the industry" did undercut Foveon solely to hinder Foveon on the market?

Sigma's approach is different: straightforward minimalism, if you will. The DP cameras are really minimalist devices and have been from the start. The focus is on the image. Punkt.

Yeah, I know. Just like Leica.

And I should really appreciate it if it was not for all the strange problems those cameras have had over the years. A minimalistic camera should have less problems than a complex one.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow