Owning both FF DSLR and Mirrorless - the future?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
hilife
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Re: Owning both FF DSLR and Mirrorless - the future?
In reply to kennethfong, Jan 13, 2013

I think everyone will have their own reason for considering both.

I like classical 50mm prime photography, candid people shots and environmental portraits. The 50mm on full frame can give the impression of wideangle and telephoto by zooming with one's feet, give good low light ability, image quality and especially, control over depth of field. It's the equipment I've always known I've wanted from looking at other people's pictures (although I can torture myself even more by looking at medium format fashion pics!) I know there are people that *like* deep depth of field, but I'm content to stop down if I need it, and it was a pity that this one-time basic student photographer staple became something of an unobtainable luxury earlier in the digital revolution.

Now I can say that it's getting there. I have a Canon 5D classic with 50mm f/1.4 and I'm certainly very pleased rather than sore that this camera I stretched for 5 years ago now can be obtained for only a little more than an entry level APS DSLR secondhand. I enjoy other focal lengths for sure, but I've got the jones-ing to buy them out of my system, and usually like keeping it simple with one lens when I'm out and about. My wimpy shoulders thank me for it!

That would be enough, but of course like a lot of people need at most a coat-pocket sized "compact" too for travel, and when an SLR is inconvenient to carry. So I've "made" one out of a Samsung NX1000 and 30mm f/2 pancake and that is my investment in the mirrorless market as it now stands. It can give roughly the field of view and DOF of a 50mm f/2.8 on FF, which seems to allow some blur for half and 3/4 body portraits, and greater depth of field control than just the head and shoulders or flower shots demonstrated on smaller sensors. There's a roughly equivalent 25mm f/1.4 for M43, but that still-smaller sensor combination no longer goes in a coat pocket and costs a bit more. I'm guessing the same would be true of any FF mirrorless equivalent that came out (Sony RX1). Plus Samsung lenses just seem very good value and portable for what they are which is kind of the point of mirrorless for me. The 30mm is a really pleasing, sharp lens in general.

For examples of the Samsung 30mm f/2 and kind of portrait use, check the bottom of this Korean review:

http://blog.naver.com/strongarmrev?Redirect=Log&logNo=90157253902

I've never had a huge amount of disposable income, so if I was buying from the start I'd try to get the used 5D + 50mm, and then whenever possible a cheap used NX body and 30mm whenever I could.

hilife's gear list:hilife's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow