Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
A620er
Contributing MemberPosts: 721Gear list
Like?
Acton & The Shropshire Union & Llangollen Canals
Jan 13, 2013

It was a bit to slippy underfoot this morning with all of the frost so the bike ride was cancelled. Went for a walk instead around the Canals starting at Acton, Cheshire.

Opposite the car park is The Star Inn a 16th century hostelry. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to sample its delights but will do some other time:

As I said it was frosty but not frozen as the ground was muddy & marshy for much of the time across the farm-fields:

The sun started to appear as I reached the Llangollen Canal & enjoyed a pleasant stroll along its banks:

Reaching the end of the canal near Hurleston Junction (with the Shropshire Union Canal) are a set of 4 locks:

From here the journey joined the Shropshire Union Canal:

The walk got even more interesting as across the fields from Acton is the site of The Battle Of Nantwich during the English Civil War. They are only fields but what tales they could tell if they could speak:

More recent history in the grave-yard of St Mary's Church is the grave of Albert Hornby, not only England's cricket captain at the birth of the Ashes but also England Rugby captain & also played soccer for Blackburn Rovers:

And finally St Mary's Church itself which was (if I remember correctly) the headquarters of the parliamentry forces at the Battle of Nantwich:

Thanks for looking

Paul

A620er's gear list:A620er's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow