Disaster! How do you back up your pictures?

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rebecca93
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
Disaster! How do you back up your pictures?
Jan 13, 2013

On Thursday I walked by my computer and noticed a wierd looking screen. It said my computer could no longer load Windows 7. My first thought was no big deal...just restart. Not so lucky. After spending time with technical support in India and my local geek squad, it was determined that my hard drive was "dead". My computer is relatively new. In fact the manufacturer had a tech at my house to install a new drive the very next day under warranty. Of course the data I lost was not their responsibility. I do back up. My former system was to rate my pictures and  only then back up  the "5 stars" to an online site. Alot of pictures made it there. Most did not...but most pictures weren't really worth keeping either so what is my real "loss" here?  I take a lot of pictures. Most of the time it is to better my technique. Snapping away at some school event or soccer game. Sometimes I take pictures of wildlife here in florida. I'll call it national geographic photographer wannabe. I didn't back those up either.  In essence I saved "the best of my kids 2012" the rest are gone.... So what do you do? Do you back up everything? These digital files have gotten so big its hard to justify that. An external hard drive is usually in the same house as the computer. A fire or flood would take out both.

FYI I could have gotten all the data back. It would have cost 895 dollars.  If you don't back up at all.

DO IT NOW! I HAD ABSOLUTELY NO WARNING I WAS ABOUT TO LOOSE EVERYTHING!

-- hide signature --

Rebecca

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow