Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,130
Like?
Mine a disappointment
In reply to Nikcan, Jan 13, 2013

Nikcan wrote:

Alband wrote:

I got my GH3 December 13., and my fiirst impression of the viewfinder after adjusting the diopter was: " Wow, - this is better than the GH2 ! ".

The picture in the viewfinder seems to be a little smaller compared to both GH1 and GH2, but sharpness, contrast and color is considerably better, - in my opinion.

The central, magnifying part of the diopter also appears to be a little smaller in GH3 compared to preceding GH cameras, and this may cause the modest degree of distortion that occurs when the eye is off-center in the viewfinder. I did not experience this as a problem, - adaption didn't take long. I use reading glasses (+ 2.50), by the way.

-- hide signature --

Bralte

My two pennies in the subject, I have had the GH3 a month now, and wear bifocals. Today as it was not raining in the UK for a change so I went to a local park and fitted the 100-300 mm lens on the GH3 to primary take bird pictures on the lake. A while later I got out my GH2 to take a few landscape shots with an old 14-45mm and boy what a difference the viewfinder was.

The GH3 viewfinder was much better and I was surprised as I have had the GH2 for nearly two years. The corners are sharper, the viewfinder has better clarity and colour. I am 66 years old and have just booked an eye test after two years of having my glasses.

Best Regards Mike.
http://michaelgoodes.blogspot.com/
http://ekim.zenfolio.com
'Live every day as if it was your last, one day it will be'.

First, it's 4/3 view is significantly smaller than the GH1-2's EVF's, by virtue of being a crop of it's native 16:9 format rather than native 4:3. This computes to a 25% dimension decrease on each axis, and was striking to me on first comparison look.And not as detail rich due to smaller size. But in comparison to the OMD's relatively tiny one, it's still pretty big!

Next, it's color rendition simply doesn't "do" reds - all are shades of orange, with the secondary problem of lack of red being blue purple/violets - GH1-2 much more accurate color-wise. The GH3 does excel in contrast and saturation though. Am I the only one with a significant color problem - which, incidentaly was barely affected with the EVF color controls. Am I the only one who sees this color problem?

All-in-all disappointing, but with all the rest the GH3 brings to the table, not a killer.

Pete

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow