Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mauro.B
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?
Monochrome in Rome
Jan 13, 2013

Lucky enough to be loaned a Monochrome for a test ride, on last Saturday I mounted my best of the best Elmarit 28mm mk IV - razor sharp in each and every square micron - and spent three hours shooting in Rome.

Not having to interpolate each pixel from its neighbors, the Monochrome's native resolution is to be seen to be believed: each photosite delivers its own image information (plain luminance) with no blur.

I am not technical enough to understand why, but the Monochrome has a very weak highlights protection ability, so that what is close to white goes "blank" well below 100% luminance with no recovery headroom, so that in mixed light I found it better to underexpose by 1 stop at 320 iso.

Going up in iso allows some headroom, but I was told that comes from "unwinding the iso push". I do not understand but it works.

Even on my retina display (which at 100% view shows something very close to print resolution - 220 dpi) 800 iso is super clean - and I did not care going up in iso since I was constantly hitting the 1/4000 max shutter speed.

I have to add that I found that most of out of camera files (both dng and jpegs) were too "grey" for my taste, so I adjusted contrast to my taste with a mixture of Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro. The latter did not respond the usual way with the Monochrome files, lacking the underneath rgb information to start with. Colored filters are probably the way to properly deal with the Monochrome.

Here some samples for your evaluation and comments.

Tiber bank, Tiberina island to the left.

Backlighted Tiberina island

Tourists' stuff

Huge matron

Clouds over Marcello's theatre (and excessive tilt)

Stairs and a horse

Mandatory Trajan Forum postcard shot...

Thanks for looking,

M

Mauro.B's gear list:Mauro.B's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-T1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow