Epson 3880 - which utilities to run when first setting up printer?

Started Aug 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,704Gear list
Like?
Re: There's an internal optical sensor
In reply to GMack, Jan 13, 2013

GMack wrote:

I don't know about a 'special script' which would require a computer to tell it to do that anyway, so I'll just print something in the printers once a week else the Epson's I have will clog (dry heat here). The Canon 'dye' 9000 MK II will usually get something in two weeks. I'll just print some small 4x6 inch print of some test image off NothernLights or someplace to all the printers and be done. If the colors are bad in the test print, then a nozzle check may be in order. Bad part if it is required (like when I forgot the portable Epson Charm for two weeks), it sucks a lot of ink which is even more annoying. I've had as many as 6-8 nozzle cleaning and nozzle checks to get the ink flowing again out of it and then got the "Out of Ink" warning for my efforts.

I suspect it is safe just to leave the thing (3880) on since it has the Green EcoSafe Label on it. If I were to go away for a 4-7 days, then I would turn it off. Turning it off and on sounds like it is doing some nozzle charging and maybe some waste of their 'overpriced' ink too.

True, but turning it off and the resulting nozzle charging may be why I've had no clogs in almost 3 years.  Who knows.  BTW, the 80ml ink carts in the 3880 have shown no obvious dropping in levels from the nozzle charging or whatever it is the 3880 when turned on.

I need to come up with a clear plastic cover for the printers at some point to - or a large garbage sack. Not so much as fear of drying out, but darn dust. Don't know if I'd be willing to store a saucer of water in them either. Just do a weekly printout of something and be done with it.

I think that's another reason why I've been so lucky the 3880.  I use the Tumi form-fitting cover and the inside of the printer is sparkling clean.  Without the cover there would have been 3 years of household dust srttling in every part of the printer, which eventually turns to "gunk."

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow