Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,271Gear list
Like?
A few with the 30mm f/2 and NX20
Jan 13, 2013

I have neglected my 30mm f/2 lens for a while, too many other toys to play with and my Fuji XP1 with 35mm f/1.4 tends to get all the attention at that focal length, but man, is the XP1 slow focusing in comparison.  It really is amazing how frustrating the XP1 can be in these situations, I tolerated it before, but going back and forth between the XP1 and NX20 and it is painfully obvious.  The NX20 focuses at least twice as fast and it is almost always in focus, where the XP1 is out of focus almost as often as it is in focus at f/1.4 anyway.

An AF trick you can do with mirrorless cameras is press and hold the shutter in single focus and it will take the shot as soon as focus is locked, which with the NX20 is about 20ms after focus lock with the electronic first shutter curtain, this means there is almost no subject movement in that time and almost guarantees the first shot is in focus.  The XP1 will be totally blurry half the time in those situations, and slightly out of focus in others.  It makes it really hard to get shots like these.  The last shot is from the XP1 at 35mm f/1.4.  All shots processed from RAW in Adobe Lightroom 4.3.  I did sharpen faces, punch, and probably vignette 1 or 2 presets and maybe a few minor tweaks after that.  Noise reduction on NX20 was probably at 15 or so since it is at higher ISO.

Scene is lit with a large 800 watt photo flood lamp pointing up at the ceiling.

Eric

FUJI XP1

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Samsung NX20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow